Friday, November 2, 2012

Samhain Beginnings

Samhain marked a new period of growth and learning for me. Although I haven't chosen a particular path for my studies or religion, I decided that I would start a year and a day of immersion in pagan ways. It feels odd to make that commitment, especially since I've been so quiet on this blog for so long. I promise I didn't fall off the face of the earth, I just couldn't find new things to blog about at the time. I followed the moon cycles, I listened to others, I read books, but I was on the outside looking in for the most part. This second year I plan to do more, to involve myself more, and to grow more in this path.

The witch's new year seemed like the perfect time to turn over a new leaf and dedicate myself more fully to this learning. I spent Samhain visiting my family's graves and considering whether I felt a closeness with them that was different from other times of the year. Whether I felt them draw closer through the veil or not, I did feel comfortable with mentally communing with their memories, sharing news and leaving a fall leaf in remembrance.

I read Ellen Dugan's chapter on Samhain in Seasons of Witchery. It was interesting to pass by neighbors sitting out by their flickering pumpkins or fire pits to hand out candy, thinking of the fire festival nature of Samhain and how appropriate it is that we continue to observe the old customs, whether we know it or not. I'm finding that it is the connection in our traditions that draws me most, wondering what my ancestors thought and did at these same times so many years ago. What meanings did they see, or how were they different? I long to know their thoughts, and can see with new understanding why pagans might use Samhain as a time to communicate with those who have passed on.

So, that is my beginning for this new year. I still observe the secular holidays, of course, so Thanksgiving is now taking over my thoughts, but even then the Samhain season lingers as the final harvest festival and a time to connect with family past and present. I love this new depth to my spiritual thoughts. I hope to continue this throughout the coming year, and perhaps add things more purposefully to my practice as well as my learning.

A blessed Samhain season to everyone...I hope this time of reflection is helpful to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment